Monday, October 22, 2012

In Progress Crit 2

Utilizing a lighting kit, I continued to work with my original idea and content.  I posted the images that were produced from this venture.  However, with new insight I decided to move away from this content but working with similar ideas about selfhood.  The new images use this idea of constructing one's self and performing an individual identity to the greater public.  Some of my own decisions in constructing my identity ended up in permanent body modification.  These distinguish me from traditional conforming norms and femininity.  Consequently, these identifiers (i.e. piercings, tattoos, dreadlocks...) force me into a stereotype which I am now bound to through the limitation of others perception of me.  This binding is literally placed onto my body in these images.







2 comments:

  1. Hey Catherine, I love the new direction. I think you should collect as many images as possible of each characteristic of yourself that you have constructed. I would also play around with the distance of the subject. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, I also love the new direction you are taking your work. You seem to be enjoying it more as well. I was going to say as far as your question regarding black and white images or color, I think that you should stick with color. One thing that's interesting is being able to see the where the skin starts to turn red where you have the wire, you'd lose that if you switched over to black and white. Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete