Wednesday, September 26, 2012

In Progress Critique

My project investigates the ways in which we perform our personal identities to the public.  Existential philosophy explores the idea of wether the self is dependent on the body or purely the mind of each individual.  All of the norms that we abide by, how we should behave, dress, etc, are a social construct which do not really exist.  However, depending on our personal experiences we inevitably choose one path or another.  This decided path creates the individual that ultimately becomes one's self.  I have asked different individuals to take on the role of my collaborator.  Each person dresses me in their clothing and poses me within their environment.  They are reflecting themselves onto me. Yet, I remain as the same self.

The images displayed here are the beginning of my investigation.  Similar images are presented as I am still deciding what works best for my desired outcome.








3 comments:

  1. I love the use of squares. It goes along well with the idea of this being almost a study. The squares have no orientation and are subjective like a catalogue of studies. I think it would be awesome if you had artificial light and really posed these so we know they are fake and being positioned by others. It just enhances the act of the other character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,

    I think it would be interesting, for the purpose of investigation, to have two photographs of you in the same outfit, pose, etc. but in one of them show yourself as "uncomfortable" or at least as if you aren't trying to take on the full persona of this person but are instead trying to be "yourself". And then also have another image where you are taking on the full persona of this person and trying to make yourself that person. I'm just curious which outcome would push your concept further.

    I also agree with Travis to make use of heavy artificial lighting to further emphasize that this isn't "real".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what can be interesting if you experiment with emotion and personality in these photographs. Like take a couple images of you in the same outfit but each image would consist of you in a different mood or express different feelings somehow. I love this idea it's just that your face just remain the same in each photograph.

    ReplyDelete